Healthy Lifestyle Programs with the Western Quebec School Board (WQSB)
Connexions partners with the WQSB to promote health for school-children. The following are some of our activities and services:
Itsy, Bitsy Tots Playgroup
The Itsy Bitsy Tots Playgroup program provides a social-support network for English-speaking parents of young children (0-4 years) that includes health promotion activities and information. Thanks to a partnership with Cégep Heritage College and their Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) program, the Playgroup is now held at the College in their bright and spacious new wing and we will be working with staff and students from the ECCE program to provide parents and tots with even more fun and educational activities. A bilingual parent-facilitator leads activities.
School Readiness Kit
In collaboration with the WQSB and the Early Childhood Education program of CEGEP Heritage College, Connexions developed a pilot project in 2013-14 to produce a School Readiness Kit for parents of children 0-5 years of age. These resources for regional English-speaking families help them prepare their children for the transition from home or daycare to school. The contents of the kit focus on parenting skills to establish routines and healthy lifestyles, early literacy and numeracy activities to prepare children for school, and access to related health and community services. The kits are distributed during kindergarten open-houses at targeted schools of the WQSB and through the CLSCs in Gatineau. Funding is provided by the regional Persévérance scolaire (CAPS) fund.
- Lots Of Fun And Smiles At Our First Itsy Bitsy Tots Playgroup!
- Yoga Fun At The Itsy Bitsy Tots Playgroup!
- Talking Healthy Eating at the Itsy Bitsy Tots Plagroup!
- My First Visit to the Dentist’s Office
- Talking Motor Skills & Good Dental Health Care at Our Itsy Bitsy Tots Playgroup!
- Naître et Grandir Now Offers English Online Articles and Tools!
- Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Other useful links:
- Partnering for the well-being of Minority English-Language Youth, Schools & Communities – This document identifies some of the unique challenges, strengths and aspirations of English-speaking youth in Quebec and provides a school and community-based framework for action intended to have a positive impact on their well-being and educational success.