On Thursday, October 19, Connexions Resource Centre joined the Gatineau Friendship Club in welcoming over 90 participants to its Gatineau Seniors Wellness Event at the St. Aloysius Church in Gatineau.
The afternoon began with opening remarks by Maurice Lambert, Chair of the Gatineau Friendship Club, as well as Danielle Lanyi, Executive Director of Connexions Resource Centre, followed by an introduction by Charlene Engstrom, Senior’s Outreach Coordinator at Connexions (as seen in video).
This was followed by a Workshop by guest speaker, Maureen Ricard, retired nurse, on Nutrition and Proteins with a short video sequence by Dorothy Moffat, Dietitian on “Nutrition: let’s talk about Protein.”
Connexions also set-up its kiosk and handed-out a wide range of documentation on available services in the Outaouais including Info-Santé 8-1-1 (a free and confidential telephone consultation service), Éducaloi (offers reliable, accessible legal information and education resources) and the Health and Social Services Network Complaint Examination System.
Several community organization joined us to help share information on their services by also setting-up their kiosks and distributing documentation on a variety of health and wellness issues and answering attendee questions. Participating organizations included:
- APPUI Outaouais (Offers information and services for caregivers for seniors)
- Centre d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes (CAAP) (Offers assistance in filing a health and social services complaint)
- Centre de justice de proximité de l’Outaouais (Shares legal information)
- CISSS de l’Outaouais (Offers the Falls prevention program)
- CISSS de l’Outaouais Users’ Committee of Gatineau (They protect users’ rights and act as spokespersons when dealing with institutional authorities)
- Gatineau Friendship Club (Promote good physical & mental health of seniors in the community and provides a meeting place for English speaking seniors to gather and share ideas and give support to each other)
- Société Alzheimer de l’Outaouais Québécois (Supports persons with Alzheimer, their families and their close friends)
A thank you to our attendees for making this a fun and successful event. A thank you to our our many volunteers and dedicated Connexions staff who helped us make this event possible. We would also like to thank our partner community organizations who came to share information with event attendees at their kiosks. And a huge thanks to the Gatineau Friendship Club who helped us organize and host this incredibly successful Wellness Event for Seniors.
Make sure to visit our Connexions YouTube Page for more videos of the event and workshop!
Would you like to receive information on upcoming Connexions events directly to your email inbox? Subscribe to our Connexions Newsletter!