In the Outaouais, the health and social services sector is the second largest employer with over 250 different kinds of jobs in health care services. The Outaouais boasts two modern, urban hospitals in the City of Gatineau as well as three rural hospitals in Buckingham, Wakefield and Shawville. There are also several long-term care facilities, CLSCs and rehabilitation centres.
Bilingual health professionals will easily find work, especially in the following disciplines: nursing, family physicians, dental hygienists, radiation technologists, paramedics, nursing assistants, speech therapists and many roles in health administration.
To explore employment opportunities at health care facilities in the Outaouais, contact Centre intégré de santé et des services sociaux de l’Outaouais (CISSSO).
Other Regional Health and Social Services Institutions
- Centre de réadaptation en dépendance de l’Outaouais offers residential and external rehabilitation services for persons with drug, alcohol or gambling problems and their families.
- Centre régional de réadaptation la RessourSe offers rehabilitation services for individuals with a physical impairment, or children with a developmental delay.
- CRDI Pavillon du Parc provides support for seniors and families in the area of intellectual deficiency.
- Les Centres jeunesse de l’Outaouais offer psychosocial services, including social emergency services, required by a young person by virtue of the Youth Protection Act and the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
- Residential and long-term care facilities (CHSLD), including two private institutions, CHSLD Champlain-Gatineau and CHSLD Vigi de l’Outaouais.
- Paramedic Services
See also the recruitment page of the Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux de l’Outaouais to search for jobs in the region.
Emploi Québec also provides links and information on the job market in general and how to go about searching for work.
Emplois en Santé – Portail santé mieux-ètre is a recruitment tool in the area of health and social services. The site has information on health and social services institutions, on health care careers, bursaries, and jobs. You can search by region or by type of health care discipline.
Local Youth Employment Resources
YES (Youth Employment Services) provides English-language support services to help Québecers find employment and start businesses. They do orientation sessions, career counseling, mentorship and they have a section on Internet job hunting.
Réseau des carrefours jeunesse-emploi (RCJEQ) has dynamic professionals who offer group and individual services to youth aged 16 to 35 looking for work. They help job seekers develop strategies and tools to help market their skills and to connect them to employers.
Each region within the Outaouais has its own office:
- Carrefour jeunesse emploi de l’Outaouais with an office in Gatineau
- Carrefour jeunesse emploi Vallée de la Gatineau in Maniwaki
- Carrefour jeunesse emploi Papineau with offices in Buckingham and St.-Andre-d’Avellin
- Centre Local de Développement des Collines-de-l’Outaouais (CLD)
- Centre de recherche d’emploi Pontiac (Club de recherche d’emplois du Pontiac) in the Pontiac – call 1 877 648-5065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org