User's Rights Pamphlet
PDF Brochure

Dissatisfied With Services? An Opportunity To Improve Them!

In the health and social services network, lodging a complaint is a legal right.  And indicating dissatisfaction is an excellent way to improve quality of care and services.  It is a useful contribution, both for the individual user himself, and for all of the users at their care facility.

What are you rights?

The raison d’être of the services is the person who requires them.  This is one of the guidelines on which the Act respecting health services and social services (LSSSS) is based. The rights of the users are:

  • Right to information
  • Right to receive services
  • Right to choose a professional or institution
  • Right to receive appropriate care according to one’s health status
  • Right to consent to care or refuse care
  • Right to actively participate in decision-making process
  • Right to be accompanied, assisted and represented
  • Right to shelter/accommodation
  • Right to receive services in English
  • Right to access one’s user’s file
  • Right to the confidentiality of one’s user’s file
  • Right to lodge a complaint

For more information about your rights and additional resources, please read the It’s Your Right Leaflet from the Regroupement provincial des comités des usagers (RPCU).

I can voice my dissatisfaction regarding which public health care or social service facility?

It can include an institution in the health care and social service center, a long-term care facility, a community organization, a private seniors home, an intermediary resource, an ambulance transport service, a family-type resource, or a private group home (i.e., drug addiction or pathological gambling).

Who can file a complaint?  

The user or his or her representative, or the heir or legal representative of a deceased user, who believe their rights have been infringed or are dissatisfied with the services received may express their dissatisfaction or file a verbal or written complaint by phone, email or in person.

Who does one go to in order to lodge a complaint?  

Before filing a complaint, you must first speak with the staff responsible for the care and services of the institution in question. When a problematic situation cannot be solved easily, or if you are still not satisfied, the Act respecting Health Services and Social Services provides a mechanism through which a user can state his or her view, be heard, understood, and respected: Health and Social Services Network Complaint Examination System or call 819-771-4179 or toll-free at 1-844-771-4179, whose aim it is to improve the quality of services being offered.

What if I need help to file a complaint?

The Centre d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes Outaouais offers FREE and confidential services, including information and referral, support and advice, as well as assistance in filing a complaint.  You can also call them at 819-770-3637 or toll-free at 1-877-767-2227 or email them at .

Is there the possibility of a second recourse?

In the event that the user is not satisfied with the response given by the institution or with the measures put in place to resolve the situation, he or she can apply to the Quebec Ombudsperson, call 1-800-463-5070 or email .

Where can I find additional information?

You can also find additional information from the Québec Government’s The Health and Social Services Network Complaint Examination System and the Regroupement Provincial des Comités des Usagers.

Éducaloi’s new online guide The Law and Mental Health: What you Need to Know can also answer a variety of questions you might have.