Depending on their age, children react differently to foods. Some children will not like tryingnew foods. Others will no longer like a food that they enjoyed a few weeks previously. Some children will sort foods that have been mixed together, or examine them for a long time.
Manychildren refuse to try a new food. This reaction is called food neophobia, and is completely normal. It is caused by a child’s fear of unfamiliar foods.
Here are a few infographics on “Picky Eating” created by four of our Volunteer Students from Ottawa University in the Nutrition Program. These infographics, recipe book and related resources were created and compiled by our students based on a fall 2021 survey that our Outaouais community completed.
A special thank you to Mona Farahbakhsh, Isabelle Guindon, Caroline Laurin and Nada Tasra.
Resources on “Picky Eating”:
- Health Canada. (2021, January 7). Involve kids in planning and preparing meals. Canada Food Guide. Retrieved March 10, 2022
- McCarthy, C. (2020, June 23). Study gives insight – and advice – on picky eating in children. Harvard Health. Retrieved March 10, 2022
- Broad, J., et al. (2021). Child involvement in meal preparation and grocery shopping is associated with lower levels of food fussiness among young children. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 46(12), 1559–1562.
- Van der Horst, K.,et al. (2014). Involving children in meal preparation. effects on food intake. Appetite, 79, 18–24.
Resources on Healthy Eating:
- Tips for Healthy Eating, by Bonnie Baxter
- Picky eaters? Here”s how to get your kids to eat like the French
- Get EnoughÂ is full of healthy recipes, as well as a Get Enough Helper App that can help you keep track of what you eat to ensure you get enough of what you eat.
- Cru Cru’s Fantastic Healthy Feast, which includes very cute and imaginative snacks made in different animal forms, etc.
- A Practical and User-Friendly Guide to Breakfasts + Snacks + Lunches
- Heart-Health Guide for your Family
- Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide
Build a Healthy Meal: Use the Eat Well Plate (interactive)