School perseverance can be a struggle for many children. They might lack the motivation or self-confidence they need to stay in school and earn a high school diploma or a qualification, or they might be having a difficult time fitting the demands of school with other aspects of their lives. In order to persevere, a child must find enough value in school.
Here are some great ways to encourage school perseverance:
- Instill a love of reading and learning.
- Maintain a close bond with your child by doing fun activities together and asking questions.
- Get involved in your child’s school life.
- Provide adequate supervision of homework.
- Encourage effort, regardless of results.
- Be supportive during tough times.
- Keep an eye out for fatigue from an overload of work or activities.
- Help your child identify their strengths and look to the future.
- Encourage your child to talk to you about their interests and nourish their aspirations.
- Place a high value on your child’s success at school, on education as a whole and on graduating from high school.
- Encourage your child regularly.
- Encourage positive self-talk and mindfulness.
- Praise effort and process, not intelligence.
- Put failures and mistakes into a growth perspective.
- Resiliency Guide for Parents and Teachers
- Helping your Teen Succeed in School
- How to Help Your Child Get Motivated in School
- Find tips for building resilience in children to help raise confident, happy kids.
- Here are some ideas for helping kids cope with anxiety and stress.
- Learn why it’s important to allow children to fail and learn from their mistakes.
- Tips for raising a confident and bully-proof child.
- Here are 10 preschool activities for encouraging independence and grit.
Find out more about Hooked on School Days and find graduation and school dropout stats for the Outaouais area.