Connexions Resource Centre - Satellite Offices
Visits by appointment only
Shawville: 530, rue Main, Shawville, Qc, J0X 2Y0
Wakefield: 721, chemin Riverside, Wakefield, QC J0X 3G0
819-557-0615 •

Highlighting your Rights

User's Week 2022The Health and Social Services Users’ Rights Week is organized each year by the Regroupement provincial des comités des usagers (RPCU) in collaboration with local Users’ and In-patients’ committees. Its goal is to inform users on their rights and to highlight the work accomplished within the Health and Social Services institutions.

This year, Users’ Rights Week takes place from November 13 to 19, and this year the theme will be User rights: do you know them?

Users’ rights week gives all those who care about the quality of services in Quebec an opportunity to promote the rights of users and recognize the important work carried out by user and in-patient committees.

What are you rights?

The raison d’être of the services is the person who requires them.  This is one of the guidelines on which the Act respecting health services and social services (LSSSS) is based. The rights of the users are:

  • Right to information
  • Right to receive services
  • Right to choose a professional or institution
  • Right to receive appropriate care according to one’s health status
  • Right to consent to care or refuse care
  • Right to actively participate in decision-making process
  • Right to be accompanied, assisted and represented
  • Right to shelter/accommodation
  • Right to receive services in English
  • Right to access one’s user’s file
  • Right to the confidentiality of one’s user’s file
  • Right to lodge a complaint

For more information about your rights and additional resources, please read the It’s Your Right Leaflet from the Regroupement provincial des comités des usagers (RPCU).

The Law and Mental Health: A New Guide from Éducaloi

Mental health challenges affect thousands of Quebecers and their families and friends.  When it comes to these challenges, the law comes into play in many ways.

But it’s hard to find the right legal information in one place. And when you find it, it can be hard to understand.

Éducaloi’s new online guide The Law and Mental Health: What you Need to Know answers a variety of questions you might have.

Dissatisfied with Services? An Opportunity to Improve Them!

In the health and social services network, lodging a complaint is a legal right. And indicating dissatisfaction is an excellent way to improve quality of care and services.  It is a useful contribution, both for the individual user himself, and for all of the users at their care facility.

I can file a complaint with which public health care or social service facility?

It can include an institution in the health care and social service center, a long-term care facility, a community organization, a private seniors home, an intermediary resource, an ambulance transport service, a family-type resource, or a private group home (i.e., drug addiction or pathological gambling).

Who can file a complaint?  

The user or his or her representative, or the heir or legal representative of a deceased user, who believe their rights have been infringed or are dissatisfied with the services received may express their dissatisfaction or file a verbal or written complaint by phone, email or in person.

Who does one go to in order to lodge a complaint? 

PDF Brochure
  • Before filing a complaint, you are encouraged to first speak with the staff responsible for the care and services of the institution in question.  If you decide to meet with this staff, you may be accompanied by a person of your choice or by a User’s Committee Representative.  These Committees protect users’ rights and act as spokespersons when dealing with institutional authorities.  Find a complete list of contacts for your area online.
  • If you would like to express your dissatisfaction and make comments or suggestions for improvements without filing a formal complaint, you can contact the Centre intégré de santé et de service sociaux (CISSS) de l’Outaouais at 819-771-4179 or toll-free at 1-844-771-4179.  This procedure is confidential.
  • When a problematic situation cannot be solved easily, or if you are still not satisfied, the Act respecting Health Services and Social Services provides a mechanism through which a user can state his or her view, be heard, understood, and respected.  Your complaint is always confidential and can be stopped at any time. To file your complaint, you must contact the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner at 819 771-4179 or toll-free at 1 844 771-4179.  For more detailed information about the complaint process, please visit the Health and Social Services Network Complaint Examination System website.  This website also provides information on the complaint process for professionals who work in a private practice.

What if I need help to file a complaint?

The Centre d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes Outaouais offers FREE and confidential services, including information and referral, support and advice, as well as assistance in filing a complaint.  You can also call them at 819-770-3637 or toll-free at 1-877-767-2227 or email them at .

Is there the possibility of a second recourse?

In the event that the user is not satisfied with the response given by the institution or with the measures put in place to resolve the situation, he or she can apply to the Quebec Ombudsperson, call 1-800-463-5070 or email .

Where can I find additional information?

You can find additional information from the Regroupement Provincial des Comités des Usagers.